The weeks of Advent are far-spent, only four more days until Christmas. I have loved this Advent as I usually do, but it also has been too short. There are three meditation books I would still like to read and I have squandered my sitting-still/prayer time. But the days roll on and prepared or not, Christmas comes. More of signs of it are visible in my house than last week.
- The Advent calendars are almost complete.
- The fourth candle on the Advent wreath is lit today.
- .Mary and Joseph are within eyeshot of the manger on the mantel.
- The Paperwhite narcissus are in full bloom.
- The Christmas tree is decorated and a few gifts have made their way under it.
- The lectionary readings begin to tell the Nativity story in Luke 1 with Gabriel’s appearance to Mary and Mary’s response: “Here am I, the servant of the Lord; let it be with me according to your word.”
Psalm 89: 1-4 (NRSV)– one of the other lectionary readings
1 “I will sing of your steadfast love, O LORD, forever; with my mouth I will proclaim your faithfulness to all generations.
2 I declare that your steadfast love is established forever; your faithfulness is as firm as the heavens.
3 You said, “I have made a covenant with my chosen one, I have sworn to my servant David:
4 “I will establish your descendants forever, and build your throne for all generations.'”