Ash Wednesday, February 13–the first day of Lent– is only five days away. Here are three templates you can use to mark the 40 days (46, counting weekends) until Easter. Two of the templates are modeled on previous years. The newest one, the one with the variety of shapes and pathways connecting them, is the one I created for this year. I kept thinking of Lent and life as a path of walking, marching, plodding, skipping, falling, stopping, running, dawdling….
A more traditional version of Psalm 16:11 says: ” You have made known to me the path of life; you will fill me with joy in your presence, with eternal pleasures at your right hand” (NIV). The Message uses these words: “Now you’ve got my feet on the life path, all radiant from the shining of your face. Ever since you took my hand, I’m on the right way.” I like this version of God as handholder and cosmic flashlight–quelling my fears and lighting my path.
Here are some suggestions on ways to use the calendar:
1. Pray for a person each day. Write their name in the shape; draw, color, doodle as you hold them up to God.
2. Pray a word each day–a word from a scripture passage you have read that day–a word that intrigues you or bothers you.
3. List your shortcomings along the path. Draw, doodle, color….
4. Just draw and listen to what the Holy Spirit may be saying to you.
5. Use color on your calendar or just a black pen.
I like to expand this 8 1/2″ x 11″ template to 11″x17″ on card stock for bigger spaces.